Several times a year Lighthouse offers a one-session New Volunteer Orientation for anyone interested in serving in any capacity, from sorting material donations to peer counseling or performing ultrasounds. Bilingual volunteers, nurses and sonographers are especially needed for our Hackensack and Paterson locations!
Our next orientation will take place in 2018. Before then, please complete the New Volunteer Application at right. More details about the Orientation will be sent via email to anyone who completes this initial application. Parenting coaches, medical volunteers and REALife presenters are also required to attend a Training Day after Orientation. Thank you for your interest!
Volunteer Opportunities at Lighthouse
There are many ways you can get involved! Some opportunities are weekly, while others are on a less frequent basis. Check out the list below for some ways or call us to discuss your ideas!
- Peer Counselors/Parenting Coaches – Women and men are needed to serve new parents, and to come alongside those in pregnancy-related crisis on a weekly basis. Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. Minimum age is 18 and minimum volunteer commitment is normally one year, due to the extensive training commitment. Parenting coaches and instructors are also needed for group classes and individual support.
- Lighthouse Material Aid Program (PREP) – Willing hands and hearts are needed to coordinate donations of new and gently used material items and “diaper drives”, which benefit the moms and dads we serve.
- Office & Event Support – Volunteers of all ages and abilities are need to assist with events and mailings, and to help clean and maintain our facilities.
- Child Care – Babysitting volunteers help clients get the maximum benefit from their counseling appointments or parenting classes.
- Post Abortion Group Leaders –Volunteers with compassionate hearts are needed to come alongside women and men in crisis. Extensive training is provided.
- School Presenters – Individuals and couples with daytime availability, a heart for teens, and a willingness to be transparent are needed to serve as school/community presenters for our sexual integrity outreach.
- Church Liaisons – These volunteers increase awareness of Lighthouse services and needs in their own congregation, often by coordinating support-raising events such as our Baby Bottle Boomerang. Liaisons may also help identify and train life disciples in their church who will provide compassionate care and help assimilate Lighthouse moms and families into their church community. Some of our local churches also host Embrace Grace groups for expectant young moms.
- Medical Team – OB/gyns and other doctors, registered nurses and sonographers who share our mission focus are needed to serve clients, to serve as advocates for Lighthouse, and to serve in advisory roles.
No time to volunteer in this season of life? Here are some other ways to support life:
- Prayer Partners – We need friends who will commit to pray regularly for the needs of the center, our staff and those we serve.
- Financial Partners – Lighthouse Keepers are needed to “fuel” our free services and keep our light shining! Opportunities include one-time gifts of cash or stock, monthly giving and/or hosting dessert nights to introduce Lighthouse to others.